Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation
Terms and Conditions
Access to and use of any and all text, images and data files on the Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation's Web site (the home page at huntbot.andrew.cmu.edu and any and all pages that contain the following in their URL, huntbot.andrew.cmu.edu/hibd) are subject to the following terms and conditions. By using this site, you agree to the Terms and Conditions. If you do not agree to these Terms and Conditions, please do not use the site.
1. Copyright laws protect the software, documentation, electronic text, image files, data files, audio and video clips, and other material (Materials) on the Web site of the Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation (the Institute). The Institute retains all rights to these Materials.
2. Individuals or organizations other than, or in addition to, the Institute may hold copyright or other proprietary rights to Materials on the Web site. For example, contemporary artists featured in current exhibitions retain copyright of their work. Such works may not be copied or downloaded without prior permission from the holder of the underlying copyright. The Institute in conjunction with Carnegie Mellon University, of which the Institute is a research division, will, in appropriate circumstances, take action against users who infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others.
3. The Materials on this Web site are available only for limited non-commercial, educational (teaching, scholarship, research, criticism, commentary and news reporting), and personal (non-commercial and domestic, by an individual involving the making of only a single copy of any one digital image) use, or for fair use as defined in the United States copyright laws. Users may download these files for their own non-commercial, non-print use, subject to any additional terms or restrictions that may apply to the individual file or program. Users must cite the author and source of the Materials as they would for any printed work. The citations must include the URL, huntbot.andrew.cmu.edu. For commercial and/or print use of Materials from our site, please contact the Institute.
Please note that downloaded images will have a resolution of 72 dpi. These images would be adequate for use on a Web site, in a PowerPoint presentation, and in a laser-printed document. However, professionally printed journals, magazines, and newsletters, etc., generally require 300 dpi tiff or jpeg images. For all print usage (both commercial and non-commercial), you must contact the Institute for permission. See the Service Charges page for a list of the fees for reproduction and publication.
4. Anyone wishing to use the Materials from this site for purposes other than fair use as defined by law (including for print), must request and receive written approval from the Institute at the address below. Permission is granted on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of the Institute and may be subject to fees. See the Service Charges page for a list of the fees.
Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
5. The Institute strictly prohibits the copying, display, publication, distribution, modification, or exploitation in any manner for commercial use, including commercial publication, or for personal gain of any of the Materials on this site without the express permission of the Institute.
6. The Institute does not warrant the quality, accuracy or completeness of any material on the site. This site could include technical or other mistakes, inaccuracies or typographical errors. All Materials on the Web site are provided "As is" without a warranty of any kind, either express or implied. The Institute reserves the right to make any changes to the Materials at this site, including the prices and descriptions of any products listed at any time without notice. The Materials at this site may be out of date, and the Institute makes no commitment to update such Materials. Neither the Institute nor any party involved in the creation, production or delivery of this site is responsible for any harm that results from your browsing or using the site. The Institute assumes no responsibility and shall not be liable for any damages to or viruses that may infect your computer equipment or other property on account of your use of the site or your downloading of any Materials from the site.
7. The Institute is not responsible for the content of any site that is linked to or from its pages. These links are merely for the convenience of our users. Your linking to any off-site pages or other sites is at your own risk.
8. The Institute Web site does not capture or store personal information. We will not collect any information about you except that required for system administration of the Web server. The Institute's Web server software automatically logs the user's IP address. We use the log data to administer the site, to analyze usage for future site development, and to gather demographic information for statistical purposes. We analyze usage by geographic references, not by individual identification. We will not provide any information to any other party.
9. We read every email message that we receive and try to respond within five business days. If you email the Institute, your message and email address will be forwarded to the appropriate department. The department may choose to save your information in case you decide to contact us again. However, we do not maintain lists or databases of email or any contact information generated from queries or comments received via the site. We do not share any contact information with any company or institution.
Note that as a function of their service, email service providers backup email files periodically. Therefore email files sent to the Institute may be on backup storage disks on file at your or the Institute's email service provider or affiliated network organizations.
10. For site security purposes, the Institute's Web server software monitors network traffic for unauthorized attempts to upload or change information or otherwise cause damage. If such attempts are made, appropriate legal measures will be taken.
11. The Institute reserves the right to revise these Terms and Conditions from time to time by updating this page. You are subject to the most current version and periodically should visit this page to review the Terms and Conditions.
For more information about copyright and intellectual property, please visit the Library of Congress Web site.
Hunt Institute Text Only Footer
About the Institute
Frequently Asked Questions
News and Events
DEPARTMENTS and COLLECTIONS
Department Services and Charges
History of Collections
Rachel McMasters Miller Hunt
Lawrence Memorial Award
Text-Only Site Guide - Full Graphics Pages
URL for this page: huntbot.andrew.cmu.edu /HIBD/HIBD-T/Terms-T.shtml
© 2011 Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation.
All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions.